News & EventsLatest NewsCalendar
Charlton Park 38 Cranbrook 26

Charlton Park 38 Cranbrook 26

Andy Miller24 Mar - 13:15
Share via

Emphatic first half display in a game of two halves helps seal crucial win.

In a keenly anticipated match, with both sides winning last week, a five try first half saw Charlton Park gain a bonus point victory over close relegation rivals Cranbrook at Broad Walk.
Park had the upper hand from the off, playing down the slope and were soon on the scoreboard. Following a quickly taken penalty, the ball found its way to Bruce Tuikova who slipped a nice pass to skipper Luke Boyns to power over. Ross Sidebottom, who was to enjoy a 100% record with the boot, slotted the easy conversion.
Cranbrook replied almost immediately through a converted try of their own, scored by their huge centre.
Park again asserted themselves from the restart and after pressuring the visitors’ defence were awarded a penalty in the opposition 22. A quick tap by Jake saw him sail unopposed under the posts for another converted try.
A penalty goal, extended the lead, and Park scored their 3rd try through Darren Jalink after some good work by Terry Read.
Park scored straight from the restart, Epeli attacking the kick, and palming into the hands of Jerry, who ran unopposed for the easy, bonus point, score, again converted by Ross out near the right hand touchline.
With 5 minutes of the first half remaining the home side scored their fifth try of the half through Jack Hudson following great lead up play by Felix, Vaki and Epeli. The conversion meant the half time score was 38-7 to Park.
The second half began with Cranbrook pressing for a score and only Park’s stirling defence kept them scoreless. That is until fifteen minutes into the half, when after some back chat, Park were matched 10 metes back at a penalty. A tap and go, into the park defence and through missed tackles gave the visitors their first try of the half.
Cranbrook were now in the ascendancy and 5 minutes later the Park line was breached again following done close driving by the Cranbrook forwards.38-19.
Cranbrook were now looking for a try bonus point of their own. It came right on the final whistle as constant pressure from Cranbrook, allayed with a yellow card for Ben Monsie ended in the try for the home side.
The final whistle sounded and Park, although scoreless in the second half, had held on for victory.
Final score Charlton Park 38 Cranbrook 26

Despite the result it is not yet clear whether Park, and indeed Cranbrook, have avoided the drop, as in true RFU style, there is some confusion as to the make up of next year’s leagues.

The boys played some of their best rugby in the first half and were worthy winners.
Man of the match was Ross Sidebottom for his faultless kicking exhibition using the old, tee less method.

Park’s final game of the season is away at Heathfield and Waldron, there is a coach going to the game - for those wishing to book a seat please contact Mal Stokes.

Further reading