Following Government’s announcement last week that outdoor team sport can resume from Wednesday 2 December, we are delighted to confirm that Government has today approved our submission to return to 15-a-side contact rugby, with some adaptations.
Further detail on these adaptations and associated laws will follow tomorrow. However, they are briefly summarised below:
• There will be no scrums or mauls in the game
• Where the game would restart with a scrum, this will be replaced with a free kick
• A minimum of five and a maximum of seven players from each team are required to form a lineout
What does this mean clubs can now do?
• Clubs can resume adapted training for 15-a-side contact rugby again from this Wednesday. Further detail to follow tomorrow.
• Clubs can resume friendly fixtures from Friday 18 December – this is to allow players to prepare properly and safely, having not been training over the past month.
• Clubs can still play Ready4Rugby if they have matches coming up from 2 December to 18 December and beyond. There is no obligation to play adapted 15-a-side contact fixtures.
Further detail to follow
Further Government guidance is expected today on travel, changing, spectators and clubhouses.