Here is how the report saw it…

West Leeds RUFC wrote their names in the history books at Twickenham after winning the RFU Intermediate Cup final, their third national final in three years. 

Last year the Yorkshire side had won the Senior Vase trophy and reached the Intermediate finale on their first attempt this season.

Two tries from former England rugby league winger Mark Calderwood as well as five conversions from Dale Breakwell and tries from Steven Anderson and Jack Marshall sealed a thrilling win over Charlton Park.

West Leeds start strong

West Leeds were in total control from kick off, patiently going through the phases in the opening exchanges.

And it didn’t take long for them to capitalise on all their possession. Scrum-half Joe Bedord fed captain Sam Neave who offloaded to former England rugby league international Mark Calderwood who finished with ease.

Fly-half Dale Breakwell slotted the extras to make it 7-0.

Charlton Park tried to re-build but were punished again three minutes later when Neave intercepted a looping pass to sprint in from half way and put West Leeds in total control. Breakwell added the two points.

With Leeds looking like they could run away with it, Charlton Park needed to respond quickly and they did just that.

Working their way up the pitch, Park had clear control of a scrum five metres away from Leeds’ line and number eight Luke Boyns was able to pick the ball and touch down for their first try of the game.

Fly-half Tom Amzaleg made up for his earlier interception pass error by nailing a tricky conversion, bringing the London-based team back into the game at 14-7 after 21 minutes.

The try gave Charlton Park some momentum and they came close to scoring a second when Tshepo Mooki and Reion Raybe combined well to get within a foot of Leeds’ line.

Charlton Park were awarded a scrum and continued to dominate Leeds’ pack. After being penalised for continued collapsing of the scrum, West Leeds conceded a penalty try. Amzaleg converted and it was all equal at 14-14 after 32 minutes.

With a minute left in the first half, try scorer Calderwood was deemed to have deliberately knocked on the ball when Park had an overlap and was sent to the sin bin. The half time whistle came with Charlton Park in the ascendancy despite the score being equal at 14-14.

End to end rugby

Charlton Park dominated the opening proceedings of the second half with West Leeds struggling to keep up but then came a moment of magic from Leeds’ prop Steven Anderson.

The 30-year-old kicked through a loose ball in his own half before and then won the chase to hack the ball ahead again before touching down for a brilliant try. Breakwell added the extras and Leeds were ahead 21-14 after 45 minutes, against the run of play.

Charlton Park responded immediately, going through the phases before Mark Harlow-Singh crashed over. Amzaleg brought it level with the boot.

The score was 21-21 with 30 minutes remaining and the game was in the balance.

Park looked to have more energy as the second half developed exemplified by Park winger Jeremy Montes who made a scintillating break down the wing before offloading to replacement Alexander Miller to score in the corner.

The missed conversion meant Park had a 26-21 lead.

Soon after, Calderwood had the chance to make up for his earlier yellow card but decided against offloading to the free man outside him and was stopped by Raybe just metres from the line.

Park’s replacement Gregory Heloir was sent to the sin bin with 17 minutes to go after finding himself in an offside position. It proved to be a significant moment.

And West Leeds made use of the extra man, spreading the ball wide to Jack Marshall who stepped inside to score. Breakwell slotted his fourth conversion, bringing the score to 28-26.

It all started to fall apart for Park when Raybe deliberately threw the ball into touch when under pressure and was rightly sent to the sin bin, leaving his side with 13 players.

Breakwell missed the resulting penalty meaning the gap stayed at two points between the teams with 10 minutes remaining.

Calderwood soon extended that lead, sprinting over after receiving the ball from the scrum. Breakwell made his fifth conversion of the game to bring the score to 35-26.

A late red card for Calderwood marred an otherwise sublime performance from the winger and despite getting back to 15 men for the final minutes, Park were unable to get themselves back in the game.

The final whistle was met by wild celebrations from West Leeds who have created history at Twickenham.