Charlton Park slipped to their third successive league defeat when they entertained Chobham, a  side that have aspirations for promotion this season.

But for the bounce of the ball from a chip ahead Charlton could have taken an early lead with a try when following a bout of both sides kicking for position a sixty metre run from Reion Rabye saw him break through several tackles but his chip over the last defender eluded his grasp. Despite the start from Charlton it was Chobham that had the better of the opening exchanges as they forced Charlton backwards.

It was Charlton that opened the scoring with a Thor Normann penalty and following Chobham being adjudged offside they had a further opportunity to extend the lead but unfortunately for them the resultant kick missed the mark. Having weathered Charlton’s initial pressure Chobham took a firm grip of the game and Charlton’s conceding of a series of penalties ensured that the home side was forced in to playing long spells of the first half.

Chobham utilised the string of penalties they were awarded to kick for field position and from the ensuing lineout try to maul their way to scoring a try. Despite outstanding defence from Charlton after a number of attempts, by Chobham the tactic finally proved successful and they took the lead with a converted try and five minutes later extended the lead with a penalty.

Having lost the lead then saw Charlton contribute to their own misfortune as they then contrived to have three players yellow carded and the result of this was that they had to play the middle third of the match short-handed and indeed at one time they were reduced to thirteen players. To compound Charlton’s woes as a result of one of the offences they had a penalty try awarded against them thereby extending Chobham’s lead to fourteen points at half time.

Charlton’s made a better start to the second half as they sought to reduce the deficit and their driving play with their forwards to the fore began to set up better field position and thereby allowing elements of their true attacking style to begin to show. It was through their forwards that Charlton scored a try midway through the second half through Alan Knuckey after a rolling maul had taken them close to the Chobham goal line he was on hand to dash over to touch the ball down..

This proved to be to be the spur for Chobham to re-energise their play and both Normann and Rich Bryan made telling runs. Chobham continued to press and go in search of further tries and it required a crunching “last-ditch” tackle, putting the opposing Chobham forward into touch from Reion Rabye to prevent a third try being scored.

Errors and conceding penalties from Charlton cost them dearly as Chobham took the pragmatic view on the match and proceeded to extend their lead with a further two penalties and with the last move of the match scored their third try of the game to secure the win.

Next week Charlton play on the south coast in Hampshire against Gosport & Fareham, kick off 1.45pm hoping for a revival in their fortunes.