Charlton Park, despite fielding several players returning from long term injuries, slumped to another lose in the league against a free running Brighton team who sit mid table in the league.

Despite making a bright start Charlton fell behind to a successful penalty kick from the visitors and to and to compound their problems a well-executed move saw Brighton extend their lead with an unconverted try.

Charlton, although playing on the back foot were, when able attacking with flair and in particular Reion Rabye made several fine runs and on one occasion he was denied a try by last ditch defending by Brighton. It was following a series of drives down the field Charlton finally scored their first points of the game with a well-judged penalty kick from Alex Miller.

With only a five-point difference between the two sides result of the match was in doubt at half time but this was a false dawn for Charlton as Brighton started the second half in a more positive frame of mind and increased the tempo of their play and their forwards through tight play established a good attacking platform for their backs who were to score a further three tries in the half.

Forced into desperate defence Charlton were reduced to fourteen men when they had a player sin-binned and Brighton took the opportunity to score a converted try and a penalty to extend their lead. With Charlton having to defend for long periods they were guilty of committing a number of penalties and Brighton took the opportunity to maintain their grip on the match.

Despite playing on the back foot for long periods Charlton, when they had the opportunity tried to reduce the deficit but errors in their play resulted in their efforts being nullified. Brighton further extended their lead with a third try.


The final few minutes of the match saw Charlton, putting their fatigue to the back of their minds as mounted a series of driving plays close to the Brighton try line but their efforts were thwarted by Brighton and to the visitors delight they secured a bonus point with a fourth try when following a scrum in the Charlton half of the pitch they broke through despairing tackles from a tiring Charlton side who had had to defend for over half the match