Reaching half time and facing only a seven-point deficit and having scored three tries Charlton Park were still in contention but once again a series of errors and wrongly taken decisions in the second half was to cost them dearly as they slumped to another lose.

Playing with the benefits of the natural conditions Chiswick opened the scoring when, following a line-out in their own half slick handling and direct running saw them create an overlap to to touch the ball down under the goalposts to aid the subsequent conversion.

It was Charlton who were the next to score when following Chiswick kicking the ball down the centre of the pitch Michael Cassizi set off on a run and when he was tackled good support play by Ross McManus continued the move finished by Rob Saunderson scoring a try. With Tommy Nightingale adding a conversion Charlton had levelled the scores within five minutes.

Region Raybe went close to increasing Charlton lead but his chip over the advancing Chiswick defence eluded his grasp but Chiswick cleared the danger. It was following Charlton losing the ball in possession their efforts to nullify the situation saw them adjudged to have been offside and Chiswick’s subsequent kick was successful in restoring their lead.

Raybe turned defender when his speed of foot enabled him to haul down a Chiswick player who had no defender to beat of him. With both sides fairly evenly matched it was Chiswick’s better decision making and skills that proved to be the difference with them enjoying long periods of possession.

Another Charlton error enabled Chiswick to extend their lead with a converted penalty try when after Chiswick kicking for field position Charlton gave away another penalty setting up a situation for a series of five metre scrums and when Charlton offended again the referee had no other option than to award the try.

Chiswick failed to deal with the kick-off and following good play from Ross McManus, a pop up pass from Mark Harlow-Singh, set up a series of phases that saw Eric Roy being tackled just short of the goal line but following more phases of playing, as Charlton exhibited that they are able to retain possession, a pass out the tackle was accepted gratefully by Saunderson who dived over for his second try of the match.

From the restart kick Charlton proceeded then demonstrated how to run the ball back from the opponents’ kick off they ran and passed with accuracy and Luke Boyns finished off the passage of play when he scored Charlton’s third try to level the scores.

The final acts of the first half was to see once again Charlton losing control of the ball and the precision of Chiswick’s handling and running saw them score a third try of the half to gain them the lead once again. Charlton, just before half time had the opportunity to narrow the deficit but the kick missed as it was held up on the wind.

The capricious nature of the weather came into effect when at half time the direction of the wind changed and Chiswick had the benefit for the second half.

With Chiswick slowly taking control of the game, aided by poor decision making from Charlton trying to run the ball at every opportunity especially out of defence that often saw the giving away possession. it was whist Charlton were reduced to fourteen men following a player being sin-binned for a high tackle Chiswick increased their lead as from of a lineout they mauled their way over to score a fifth try.

Once again Charlton raised their game and following Chiswick failing to deal with the restart kick and when they gave away a penalty Nightingale made a successful kick. It was another mistake from Charlton that saw them fail to control the ball deep in their twenty-two metre area and from the ensuing lineout Chiswick drove over to score the try.

Next week Charlton visit local rivals Sidcup who are riding high in the league and are sure to prove a tough proposition for Charlton.