Despite disjointed play at times throughout the match and defending for long periods a last gasp try, scored by player/coach Alan Knuckey secured Charlton’s second league win of the season against a very committed Old Colfeians side.

From the start Colfeians looked a well drilled unit and it was they who enjoyed the bulk of the opening period of play. It was following Charlton conceding a penalty that led to Colfeians having the first opportunity when following a kick for position they attempted to drive the ball over the goal lines but Charlton’s defence proved to be equal to the threat.

Charlton, when in possession did show glimpses of good play but errors cost them dearly as passes went astray or were dropped; and they were almost the creator of the first try for Colfeians when in their enthusiasm to run the ball they attempted to clear danger by running their ball out of their goal area. Despite making good progress and running the ball out of their twenty-two metre area a wayward pass was intercepted by a Colfeian player and only good scrambled defence shut down the danger.

Finally, the continued pressure from Colfeians finally saw them open the scoring when following a concerted period of pressure, they broke a despairing last tackle and the ball was touched down for a try giving them a well-deserved lead.

Falling behind gave Charlton a wakeup call and they began to place some structure into their game and following an astute tactical substitution win the forwards their pack began to achieve parity in tight play where they had been struggling in the early part of the game.,

With a stable basis to work from Charlton began to threaten and following Reion Raybe, in hot pursuit of his own chip through, being tackled into touch Charlton were awarded a penalty which was kicked by Peter Squires.

In the closing moments of the first half Raybe, having been previously denied a try by a tackle, rectified the situation when popping up on the left wing finished off a handling move when he ran two thirds of the length of the pitch to score Charlton’s first try of the match and with Squires adding the extra two points Charlton finished the half holding a lead.

The Start of the second half saw Charlton fall behind immediately when an aimless Crossfield kick was gathered up by Colfeians who then used their element of good luck to score their second try.

The half then developed into a war of attrition with Colfeians attacking and Charlton having to defend. A second successful kick from Squires enabled Charlton to re-establish a slender three-point lead Finally however the long periods of having to defend seemed to bear fruit for Colfeians when following the award of a series of penalties ceded by Charlton, saw the visitors finally succeed with a rolling maul to score their third try of the game.

The closing minutes saw a see-saw game with Colfeians trying to score their fourth try and Charlton to snatch a win. It was almost the last play of the match when Charlton were awarded a penalty and with Colfeians having one player yellow carded they tried to roll the ball over the try line and when in their attempts to defend this threat the visitors had a second player sin-binned Charlton opted for a scrum five metres for the try line. With the numerical advantage Charlton began to inch their way forward and following a pick up from Knuckey when broke the last tackle to dive over to touch the ball for a try and Squires fourth successful kick saw Charlton snatch an unlikely win in a game they had been on the back foot for long periods.