Charlton Park completed the first half of their league season with a very emphatic comprehensive win over Warlingham by scoring twelve tries and maintaining their second position in the league.

From the opening exchanges Charlton’s game plan of playing with flair and pace showed as when following the award of a penalty close to the Warlingham they decided to take a quick tap and the Lee Amzaleg’s well judged pass was taken by centre Neil Collins, running on a well judged line, to cross the try line for the first try that was converted by fly half Liam Cleary to give Charlton a well merited lead.

Having established an early lead Charlton’s intensity of play increased and they began to play flowing fifteen man rugby with the ball being either run or driven from all areas of the pitch although at times they seemed to be over eager thereby giving away possession. Despite the occasional errors Charlton’s approach proved beneficial as Warlingham were forced into desperate defence and their play in the tight began to go astray with miss-directed passes or struggling at the scrummage.

It was following a scrum, that saw Warlingham being driven backwards, Charlton scored their second try when following the ball being picked up by number eight Rob Saunderson a flowing handling move saw the ball being passed pass through the hands of Charlton’s backs and Cleary’s final pass was taken by Sam Naden who broke through the Warlingham defence to touch the ball down finishing off the sweeping move.

With a useful lead Charlton continued to press and following another break from Naden, running back a hasty Warlingham clearance, Charlton pushed Warlingham backwards at the ensuing five metre scrum and thereby allowing Saunderson to pick the ball and stretch over the goal line to score the third try of the half.

It was a loss of concentration that allowed Warlingham to strike back immediately when having taken a   quick restart kick they found Charlton’s defence in disarray and follow a glimpse of their running lines and handling they were rewarded with a try. Charlton’s response to this setback was immediate and saw them winning a penalty when their successful chasing of the restart kick lead to Warlingham offending in their efforts to nullify the threat. In prior opportunities Charlton had opted for field position but to their nerves they opted for a kick at the goal posts and Cleary was successful with the attempt to stretch the lead.

Through out the half Charlton’s backs had made telling runs and shown goo handling skills and it was such play that saw them, following good work at a ruck in turning the ball over, set winger Reion Rabye on a weaving run from inside Charlton’s half that lead to him scoring the fourth try of the match and thereby securing Charlton a bonus point and a half time score of 27-5.

With the result of the match almost settled the second half of the match saw Charlton playing with a fluidity that is rarely seen with the ball being run from all areas of the pitch leading them to score another eight tries. Throughout the first half Sam Baker had made a number of telling runs and it was he that set in motion a move that saw him break through the Warlingham defence and following good linking work and a pop pass from Naden Saunderson finished the move off by scoring his second try of the match.

To compound Warlingham’s misery the subsequent restart kick was tapped back to Baker and his second telling run, in the space of two minutes saw him break into open space and when finally he was pulled to ground good backing up from Collins enabled him to take and pass the ball to Lee Amzaleg who finished the move off by scoring a try.

It was Collins once again proved to be the creator of Charlton’s next try when he snatched a wayward pass out of the air and broke through before passing to Baker to score a well merited try for his all his work rate through out the match.

The onslaught from Charlton continued to pressurise Warlingham and resistance seemed to drain from them. Having been the instigators of good quality possession Charlton’s forwards were responsible for the next try when following a drive from Mark Harlow-Singh into the visitors’ half Charlton were awarded another scrum and this lead to the ball being handled well and taken through a series of plays before Steve Laverie, adopting a low body angle, touched down to score the fourth try of the second half.

With Charlton’s forwards in the ascendency it was following another close range scrum Amzaleg utilised space created by Charlton driving for the goal line to making a run round the side of the maul and he scored a try to further extend the lead.

It was yet another wayward pass over the head that saw “BJ” Bridges, who had come off his wing, snatching and  juggling the ball before he gain possession to touch the ball down for Charlton’s tenth try of the match. The closing minutes of the match play almost entirely being played in the visitors half of the pitch and it following a quickly taken tapped penalty Collins scored his second try of the match.

Once again from the subsequent restart kick the ball was once again run into the Warlingham half and following robust phase play from Charlton’s forwards Alex Smith finished off the move in scoring his first try for Charlton. With Cleary adding six second half conversions to take his personal points tally for the game to 19 this concluded a good result for Charlton Park and in doing so consolidated their position in the league.

By Roe Belcher


Warlingham’s view of the match;

With the hosts riding high in second place in the league and Warlingham dallying with relegation positions this was always going to be a difficult fixtureBut the absence of captain Zack King and influential forwards Ollie Dodwell, Mikal Ahola and Luke Delderfield, meant that Warlingham were unsettled and were given a twelve to one try drubbing by a well drilled and skilful Charlton Park side.

Warlingham’s frenetic play, dropped balls and wayward passes contributed to their own downfall and their future in the league certainly seems to be in the balance. Despite the valiant and unstinting efforts of prop Alex Nunn, lock Yassine Boufaied and try scorer Jack Atkinson, the visitors were pressurised in every area of the game.

Charlton Park’s enthusiastic open play sometimes led them to lose possession but Warlingham were unable to capitalise with the ball in broken play where scores are normally achieved. The half time score of 27 5 down was favourable to Park but their second half onslaught knocked the resistance out of a dispirited Warlingham side and the tries came thick and fast.

After the game Warlingham Chairman Peter Wrightson said, “We really have to break the losing habit and not give away early scores. Injuries and unavailabilities disrupted us today but every club has that problem and Charlton Park deserve their position in the league we must do better.”

Next Saturday Warlingham are at home to Crowborough who are just two places above them in the league so a closely fought game is envisaged.